The Rotary Club of Greenville was the 1st formed Rotary Club in South Carolina. Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Atlanta, it was organized January 7, 1916, as Rotary Club No. 205. Greenville leads District 7750 in fundraising, both locally through its Kringle Holiday Village, and internationally through contributions to The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International.
The club has sponsored many landmark projects in the Greenville community, including the original Textile Hall, Furman’s original gymnasium and Manly Field, Rotary Lake at Camp Greenville, a YMCA Health Center, and the Rotary Family Literacy Center.
Most other Upstate SC Rotary Clubs trace their roots back to Greenville, which directly sponsored 14 of the clubs in District 7750.